1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Ha! If I actually did that mine would be running XP! JK - I actually grew to like Win7 and, shocker, am getting used to 10 but absolutely don't like many aspects of that OS. I have my wife on 7 Pro right now (I think - I rarely have to touch hers as she finally started listening to what I say about proper use and safety). She also uses Firefox (portable), which, IMHO, is more secure and stable than the other browsers.

2. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Stunt Coordinator

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419

It should also be mentioned that even though the advertised free upgrade to 10 has been expired for some time, it is still possible to perform one (for how much longer is anyone's guess.) Just run the Media Creation Tool on the target PC, or run the Win10 setup.exe from a USB key or CD created elsewhere...

Tony Bensley and John Dirk like this.
  3. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Seeing the Mrs reinstalled Windows 8.1, minus the Classic Shell Task Bar "compromise," reminded me just how inconvenient an OS it really is. For all of its own headaches, I much prefer Windows 10, and also appreciate the seamless re-installation, via the USB setup. By comparison, Windows 8 is rather annoying, in my opinion.

I never did get to use Windows 7, which a lot of users still rave about, in regards to its user friendly setup. Aside from general outdatedness, Windows XP suffers from the inability to reinstall with the option of keeping personal files and/or apps.

While Google Chrome seems to function OK on my hand me down HTC Android Devices, it simply doesn't play nice with our Acer Laptops, and will never again be installed on either one of our PCs, if I have anything to say about it. Uninstall/Reinstalls get old really fast! While Firefox isn't without its annoyances, I've never had to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling this browser, either!

CHEERS! :)

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I think that Microsoft painted themselves into a corner, in offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to begin with. If/when they do finally start charging Windows 7/8 users for the Windows 10 upgrade, I see it turning into something of a PR nightmare. Just my opinion.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I'm sure that MS would like to get all users over to Win 10 so they don't have to waste time supporting "heritage" systems anymore.

The free offer was probably just bait to kickstart the adoption of Win 10.

I only wonder why they didn't make the offer to Win 6 (Vista) users. Maybe the Vista drivers weren't compatible going forward or something.

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Based on everything I heard about Vista, even Microsoft regretted that OS! :D

7. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I finally upgraded her to Windows 10 last night. The mere thought of having to download Classic Shell to give her a Start button, along with Windows 8 being a general PITA, I decided that enough was enough!

The early verdict is the Mrs is happy with the changeover, lucky for me! ;)

(Just kidding. This did have her OK!)

8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Last week, I chose to delay the latest major Windows 10 update, which had shown up in my Windows Update settings, until May 16.

As of today (May 17), that update notification STILL isn't showing up on my PC! Can anyone explain why and what may have caused this apparent glitch? This is very annoying as I had picked the May 16 date for a reason!