1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ronbo,

It's your money, but a word of advice from a retiree, don't get caught up in that "I have to have it now" fever/syndrome. If that little voice in your head is talking to you and making you feel it's not the right time to buy a new projector then you might want to listen to it. I had the upgrade fever a few weeks ago and almost bought a new top of the line Marantz receiver, but that little voice in my head kept asking me that same question. Do you really need it now? The answer was no, I was only buying it to satisfy my upgrade fever.

DaveF, Josh Steinberg and Sam Posten like this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Robert,

Oh, that voice is speaking loudly.

I totally understand what you are telling me.

I swore I would never upgrade my projector to 4k. However, I was fortunate enough to have the money sitting here. If I don't buy the projector I invest it.

In a year, I will be retired. There will be no way I could justify spending that money.

So, in a way, it's now or never.

If I buy the projector now, it will serve me well for years to come. It's a good projector and certainly an upgrade over my Sony that I will notice.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Then go for it, if you're sure the picture quality with 4K/UHD on these projectors will be just as fine as on your OLED.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Never say NEVER...

KeyVisRS2000web.

Just ordered the JVC RS-2000.

Got an offer I could not refuse.

As far as glasses are concerned....

I went with an Xpand RF emitter I bought off eBay and 4 of these glasses out of Germany:

http://www.hi-shock.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/301/number/SW10052

Will eventually have Gregg Loewen of LionAV calibrate my projector. Not certain the release date of this projector.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Awesome!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of this bad boy. I suspect you’ll be thrilled.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well Ron, I think some of us knew you were leaning there all along based on your comments.:) The cash outlay was the only thing whispering in your ear and holding you back, but we can tell you really wanted to do this despite the expense.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I did.

Unfortunately, I had to spend money on top of that for new glasses, emitter and mounting plate but that's usually the case when you switch brands.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I had a feeling that's why you wanted that Sony projector, but apparently this JVC is heads above that Sony projector. When do you think you'll have your new projector setup to run?

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Ron, are you keeping the old projector or selling it?

Unfortunately, the depreciation is pretty extreme for most video/electronic gear but if you did sell I’d image you’d at least cover the cost of the new emitter, glasses and mounting plate.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ron, I look forward to hearing about your projector when you get it installed. It should be be pretty awesome!

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    I'm in a similar predicament and I will also make a decision soon. Life is too short for regrets.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    @Ronald Epstein I bet that since you bought at pre-order pricing, if you have buyer’s remorse (which I don’t think you will) you’d be able to re-sell the JVC at no loss. You should be in a no-risk situation, even buying sight-unseen. :)

Sean Bryan likes this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

The latest report from JVC is that this new line of projectors will not be released into the wild until early November. There aren't even review units out there so essentially I am buying this blindly. However, JVC has a phenomenal reputation and I don't worry about a purchase before a review.

Could have gone back to a Sony projector. However, JVC is supposed to have much better blacks. I think JVC has always been a better projector choice over Sony. I would have gone with JVC the first time out, but three years ago their projectors were not well rated for 3D. This time out, they are.

I would like to sell my Sony. I still haven't gone through the first bulb and I have a second one for it. I just don't want to go through the hassle of boxing it up (I don't have the original packaging) and trying to sell it on eBay. I don't even know what to ask for it. At this point, I may just hand it down to my brother.

Robert Crawford and Sean Bryan like this.
  14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I hear you on the hassle of trying to sell old gear.

As insane as it sounds, I have two old JVC projectors that I always intended to sell but haven’t gotten around to moving. An RS-4810 and and RS-57. I left a lot of money on the table by not selling them years ago, but I still need to motivate myself to sell them. I’m hoping to finally do it this Fall. I figure whatever money I get by selling them now, however little, is still more than I get by not selling.

Ronald Epstein likes this.