1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

4k...Okay, Now I Get It!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You’re always welcome to visit!

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Yes, unfortunately, the time will come; however, here is to hoping that it doesn't happen for a good long while for you and others that still have the function. Once it does a person is going to seriously miss it, unless one makes the jump to projection. I have my old Samsung D550 for 3D but I hardly ever use it for that because it just isn't the same. I just got spoiled by the sweet 3D quality that my original LG OLED had.

However, after being forced to make the jump, it's great that Ron is happy and impressed with his new set. The blacks and the colour really do blow a person away when one first switches on an OLED set. Sure, they look good in the store too, but a person really has to try one in the comfort of their own home theatre set up to really appreciate the improvement in PQ.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Ron,

The only downside to using Amazon Prime on the ATV4K instead of via Roku is that most of the titles stream with stereo audio on the Apple. For example, the new Jack Ryan series is in stereo via Apple, but is DD+ 5.1 on Roku.

You should be fine with the 32GB version of the device -- that's what I have, and storage hasn't been an issue at all. I doubt you'll want to use the built-in apps on your LG display after using a dedicated streamer. My Vizio has dedicated apps, too, but I never use them.

The Roku Ultra issues seem to be hit or miss as to who gets them. However, if you check out the Roku Ultra threads at AVS and Reddit, you will see there are quite a few people who have gone through the same experience I have. I used my Ultra the past couple of evenings to watch the Jack Ryan series on Amazon due to the better audio, and it got through the first two episodes without any issues. It's the first time I have used the unit since late July, though, and back then I would randomly suffer through severe audio dropouts. Since there has been no firmware upgrade since then, I fully expect the dropouts to begin again (this happened when I watched the 2nd season of The Expanse, too, getting through 2-3 episodes before the dropouts started again). Roku's software engineering group has the worst quality control I've seen for a company.

As for no UHD for Disney titles on iTunes, that is because Di$ney will not supply any 4K/UHD transfers to Apple due to Apple's aggressive pricing on 4K/UHD (charging the same price as HDX). It's similar to the battle Di$ney is having with Amazon over pricing.

Ron, you do not need the beta software in order to get Dolby Vision support. I am running the general release software and have full Dolby Vision support with the ATV4K. Since my Roku Ultra has been so unreliable and I have no Atmos height speakers in my setup, I didn't want to gamble on running beta software on the Apple.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Scott,

Excellent post and advice. Very much appreciated!

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I'm dreading that day though I know it's coming for me if I live long enough. My plasma TV that the OLED replaced still has functioning 3D, but after the OLED 3D experience, I don't want to go back to active presentation unless I have to.

Richard V likes this.
  6. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Sorry, I thought DV was still in beta on ATV 4K.

7. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    As many others have said, welcome to the clan. Ron, if you really want to get blown away, get the 4K Version of VanHelsing, it is stunning, at least IMHO.

8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    As far as I know Disney has no 4K content on iTunes. They objected to offering 4k for the same price as 1080p.

9. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    DV support has been public since the initial release of ATV4K.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, I already know that, but the point I'm making is that using the Vudu app on iTunes, you can view whatever movies Disney has in 4K/UHD with Vudu on iTunes with Dolby Atmos.

Tino and Ashly Yeo like this.
  11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I would not be surprised at all to see a big show of Disney in 4K at the Keynote on the 12th. Fingers crossed

12. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I would be very surprised. Disney and Apple have been at a stalemate on this issue. Disney does not want previous purchases magically upgraded to 4K. They want everyone to have to repurchase everything in 4K. Meanwhile Apple wants to stand by their pledge that all previous HD purchases get upgraded to 4K for free whenever the 4K version debuts on the platform.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    We will see!

14. marshman1138

marshman1138 Stunt Coordinator

I am not a projector owner. But I do own a high-end Panasonic Plasma that I am deeply enamored with. I to am holding out for a 4k OLED display of at least 65". But it is slightly beyond my affordability range today. Maybe another year...

15. marshman1138

marshman1138 Stunt Coordinator

What was the model number on that 3D OLED?

16. JQuintana

JQuintana Stunt Coordinator

Johnny

It's a shame the movie itself (not look) was so darn lousy. I saw it in the theaters when it came out and saw it streaming on Netflix recently. I wanted to revisit it and I couldn't make it more than 30 minutes before I shut it off.

17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I can completely sympathize with projector owners clinging onto 1080p. For real 4K you have to go north of 5 digits--anything else is simulated in ways that have their drawbacks--and I believe HDR is still a pipe dream for affordable projectors.

But if you are on an emissive display and have the funds, there's no excuse not to upgrade to 4K. The combination of higher resolution and strikingly higher dynamic range is stunning on the best 4K discs, not to mention that studios are increasingly reserving Dolby Atmos for their 4K releases and leaving it off of their 1080p releases.

18. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Congratulations, Ronald; what I wouldn't give to be as torn by such options.:)

19. Message #59 of 86 Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Jealous, jealous, jealous.
    One day, my friends, one day.:cool:

20. OwenRubin

OwenRubin Extra

Personally, I am a bit afraid to upgrade. Seems whenever I up my system to something new, all the manufacturers announce their new latest and greatest upgrades and new formats.

So Ill take one for the team and all of you with 4K, and hold off on an upgrade to my theatre for now so you all don't become obsolete over night! :)

And because, well, my 1080p 3D projector still works well, most of my content is not 4k yet, my budget is not ready for that big a hit. When 16k or 32k (what every comes next) hits the market, that is when I will buy a 4K projector (since the prices will drop.) And my ageing eyes probably won't be able to tell much difference after that!

ManW_TheUncool and Jeff Flugel like this.